The conversation around athlete mental health and wellness continues to garner national attention. In response to the challenges coaches and youth sport organizations are facing today with their young athletes, TrueSport has created a Cohort for Change.
The Cohort for Change is a group of like-minded individuals who seek to foster a healthy, motivational climate, normalize the conversation around mental well-being and emotions, and integrate age-appropriate tools developing athletes can use to practice mental wellbeing.
Join TrueSport and coaches across the nation as we work together to change the culture of youth sport.
The Cohort for Change will bring together coaches from across the country to activate TrueSport lessons and resources in diverse sport programs while educating young athletes on the topics of Bullying Prevention, Conflict Resolution, Mental Wellness, Performance Anxiety, and Perseverance.
Participants in the Cohort must attend the November 15-17, 2022, TrueSport Talks Symposium and trainings, teach the TrueSport Lessons within their sport programs, and provide feedback on their experience(s).
The Cohort is intended to establish best practices and solutions to further the mission of creating a more positive youth sport experience rooted in mental and physical wellness.
We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds, skillsets, and ability levels to apply. The 12-person Cohort will consist of:
- coaches (paid or volunteer), physical educators, and/or community program facilitators of young athletes ages 6-18.
- individuals who are open-minded, creative, inclusive, and passionate about changing the culture of youth sport.
- coaches in consistent contact with young athletes through their sport program for the duration of a season(s).
If selected, participants must:
- Participate in the Cohort for a minimum of one year (November 2022 to November 2023).
- Complete SafeSport and TrueSport Coaching Education Certification
- Attend in-person the 2022 TrueSport Talks: Mental Wellness and the Student Athlete Symposium November 15-16, in Colorado Springs, Colorado (travel stipend and accommodations provided by TrueSport).
- Attend in-person the Cohort for Change education and training session on November 17, 2022, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- Attend two virtual all-Cohort meetings on April 17, 2023 and October 16, 2023.
- Participate in quarterly individual calls with the TrueSport team to share your experienced outcomes and noticeable trends after having implemented the TrueSport tools and resources.
- Gather and submit survey data as provided by TrueSport.
- Provide imagery and video, when permitted, of athletes participating in TrueSport mental wellness education.
- Be willing to be observed while implementing TrueSport education and resources.
- Identify and help support like-minded coaches in your community to deploy the TrueSport resources and lessons in order to amplify community impact.
If selected, participants will receive:
- All TrueSport program lessons and resources needed to successfully educate young athletes on the topics of Bullying Prevention, Conflict Resolution, Mental Wellness, Performance Anxiety, and Perseverance.
- Complimentary access to TrueSport Coach Certification (mandatory).
- Instructions on how to access SafeSport Certification (mandatory).
- A network of like-minded individuals passionate about changing the culture of youth sport.
- Quarterly check-ins with the TrueSport Team for continued support in implementing the TrueSport program lessons and resources.
- Bi-annual all-Cohort call to discuss best practices, experiences, outcomes, progress, recommendations, and updates.
- One visit from a TrueSport Athlete Ambassador to discuss mental wellness with their athletes (based on availability).
- Recognition of participation through TrueSport’s newsletter, social media platforms, and website.
- TrueSport gear bag.
The Application period has closed.
Questions about the TrueSport Cohort for Change? Email Audrey Shaw at TrueSport@TrueSport.org.
Join the TrueSport Network…
And get weekly articles, videos, surveys, updates and more! Subscribe Now!
By providing TrueSport tools and resources to a community of TrueSport advocates, like you, the TrueSport mission of changing the culture of youth sport comes to life in communities across the country. Together, we can change the culture of youth sport and better equip tomorrow’s leaders for lasting success.